Yes, it’s September, but it’s still summer and we feel like eating fresh food. Today we’ve been inspired by a Canal Cocina recipe. This recipe is gazpacho-based recipe, the typical dish of our gastronomy during the summer season, but with a twist – carrots as the main ingredient. As usual, we have added our touch with a pinch of saffron. Add saffron to your cooking to enhance the flavours and aromas of your favourite dishes.
Carrot is renowned for being a tan enhancer, in addition to being good for eyesight, nevertheless, it has many numerous benefits that not everybody is aware of:
- Carrot has a high water content, reason why it is a diuretic and helps eliminate fluids.
- It is rich in fibre, preventing constipation.
- Did you know that its aroma stimulates appetite? If you have children who are picky-eaters, try using carrots in meals.
- Eaten raw strengthens teeth and gums.
- Energises when tired and helps lower the level of nervousness thanks to its high content of potassium and phosphorus.
- Strengthens hair and nails, thanks to beta-carotene.
- Furthermore, the beta-carotene, minerals and enzymes which this vegetable contains, improves the quality of breast milk.
Indeed all these reasons have made whetted your appetite to eat carrots. We’re bringing you with this quick and easy recipe, which will allow you to serve an original entrée at your table in no time at all.
- 500 g carrots
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- Half a cucumber
- A quarter of red pepper
- Half a garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Fresh parsley
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Pinch of saffron strands
Peel and chop the carrots. Place into a pressure cooker with water, add half a teaspoon of cumin and cook for approximately 4 or 5 minutes .
Meanwhile, wash and chop the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and garlic.
Strain and leave the carrots to cool.
Add all the ingredients into a blender and add the remaining cumin, saffron strands, vinegar and salt to taste and, a good drizzle of olive oil. Blend and if the mixture is too thick, add water until a creamy consistency is obtained.
Then, strain through a sieve to obtain a smoother texture.
Serve well chilled. Add the chopped cherry tomatoes, and even some carrot slices as a garnish.
If wishing to make a warmer dish to serve up on your table, you can try the saffron carrot soup which we mentioned some time ago. Tell us how you have made out with this or any other recipes in our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter social networks.